Friday 20 March 2015

Assignment 7: Silhouette, Flat Colour & Optical Mixing

Assignment 7: Silhouette, Flat Colour & Optical Mixing

Assignment 7 was primarily based on exploring optical mixtures. An optical mixture is when colors use tiny amounts of two or more colors that visually blend together to create another colour. It can mix either pigmented materials or light. We photographed each other and used the portrait image to create a silhouette rendering to facilitate the optical mixture. This was done through creating a posterized version in Photoshop, which would help us create reductive shapes, which were then graphite-transferred to the final ground. For this project, minimalism went a far way, whereby simple indications of line could establish the image. 

Following the final rendering, I created 2 colour scenarios, whereby each colour scale would be used for the optical mixture using a stippling technique, where the colours appear as one using quantity and environment. My colour study and chosen colour for the optical mixture can be seen below. 

Colour Scenario

Once I had established the colors for the optical mixture, I went through numerous magazines to find suitable collage material which would work well within the scenario I had already created. As mentioned for Assignment 5, I really enjoy working with collage because I think it brings a unique sense of texture and dimension to the final product. With the optical mixture and collage, I used flat colour on the silhouette to create a pure solid ground.

The optical mixture was achieved through a stippling technique, while applying the colour in the quantity established on the colour study. I did a light wash of colour on the background for the mixture, as I didn't want any white space between the dots. 

For the silhouette on the left side, I wanted to create a complementary scenario, using oranges/yellows and a violet. Therefore, I created my optical mixture and collage using similar oranges/yellows, whilst I kept the background violet (not visible in scanned image). I also went for a somewhat 'organic' and 'floral' theme for it. For the silhouette on the right side, I used a primary color scenario to facilitate my silhouette image. I really enjoy how the texture on the collage for the hair resembles an optical mixture in the form of the bokeh dots.

Overall, I wish we had done this project earlier on in the term as it was one of the most enjoyable assignments from all. Although it took on a simple and minimalistic approach, I really love how everyone was able to use the 3 forms of colour (mixture, collage, flat) to create something unique, which portrayed their own style/attitude. I really enjoyed this as the last project of the term, and it ended on a great note!

No comments:

Post a Comment