Friday 20 March 2015

Assignment 6: Transformation & Metamorphosis with Environmental Colour Representing a Sequence of Events

Assignment 6 was based on creating a panoramic design that facilitated a transformation and metamorphosis using sourced colour. We started by developing colour in a new way. Instead of using the colour aid to develop colour studies from our imagination or liking, we developed colour through three different sources. These being an object from nature, an old master image, and a personal photograph. We used the colour aid to pull colors and match the quantity and environment from the original images. I really enjoyed this method of pulling colour and developing a colour scenario as it created such unique colour scenarios, which I would not have been able to achieve otherwise. My colour studies and source imagery can be seen on the image below.

The final panoramic design was based and built upon an antonym. I chose to go from rectilinear to curvilinear as I felt this could facilitate a really smooth transformation over 6 panels. I created three sketches to facilitate designing my antonym transformation. These can be on the image below. Through the design, I wanted to incorporate scale, repetition, balance, overlapping, and focal points to create a visual pathway to lead the panorama.

Upon rendering one of the three sketches, I chose a final composition that I felt would best showcase a metamorphosis. I sketched the final design onto the final ground in preparation for painting. For this project, the colour relationships mimicked the colour studies created previously. It was slightly overwhelming to think that I would have to work and facilitate so many colors in one design, however through continuous readjustments, I was able to decide on how to do so.

In terms of colour application, this colour studies that were established had to facilitate the following criteria when added to the final ground.

  • Area defining space and form (through tinting and shading)
  • Transparencies
  • Illusions of Transparencies
  • Collage/Mixed Media
  • Colour Discord (focal points)
  • Hard Edge (through contrasting colors)
  • Vanishing Boundary (through placing two similarly saturated and valued colors next to each other)
  • Vibrating Edge
  • Tetrad System of Colour
  • 11-step Complementary Scale
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this project as it was one which allowed for individual expression, making each project unique. I really enjoyed creating my motif for it, and pulled inspiration from previous projects and personal doodles. This was the first time I have worked and balanced such a huge amount of colour together at once, hence I did find it difficult at first to facilitate the color scenarios. I found that my initial designs were separating the color worlds to abruptly, creating individual panels instead of a panorama. However, through re-renderings and continuous changes, I was able to achieve my transformation from rectilinear to curvilinear in an effective manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment