Friday 20 March 2015

Assignment 5: Transparency & Motif Study


Assignment 5: Transparency & Motif Study

Transparencies and Multiple Mediums Used to Create a Complex Motif

This assignment was based on creating an asymmetrical motif in order to facilitate transparencies as well as multiple mediums such as paint, collage, or colour aid. The project started by building upon the foundation of the assignment. We spent class time to experiment with different colour aid to find and create a colour study that gives the illusion of a transparency. This transparency was created from 3 different colors, overlapping the 2 preferably complementary colors to create an illusion of the transparency it would make. Upon establishing this colour study, I went on to create a colour world that would work with the existing study,, which helped to build colour tones from. Although there was not a strict form of gradation, there was a loose sense of gradation created from pure to neutral to pure colour, keeping in mind colour principles of quantity and environment. My colour study and colour world can be seen on the image below.

Colour Study & Colour World

Following the development of the above study, I proceeded to create an asymmetrical, linear design in order to facilitate the colour world created. My design was non-objective, linear, using angled lines and curvilinear lines throughout. I included aspects of balance, repetition, scale shifts and a main focal point, while weaving in aspects of interlocking/overlapping shapes to facilitate the transparencies. After numerous renderings, I reached my final design which can be seen in the first image above.

I completed my design using not only paint, but also collage which was matched to the colour aid in the study. Personally, I really enjoy incorporating collage in my designs as I think it brings added texture and dimension to the overall design. Whereas, if I just use paint, it may render the image quite flat at times. However, I did find it difficult at times to find collage that would facilitate a transparency. 

As for transparencies, I did this through the illusion of transparency through opaque paint, as well as using transparent paint to create the transparency itself. With the opaque paints, I mixed 50/50 of each overlapping colour to create the transparency in between. With the transparent paint, I mixed the colour with matte medium. Personally, I found it slightly difficult to visualize areas of transparency in my head, before applying the paint, so I had to repaint some areas several times before achieving the desired transparency.

Lastly, we scanned in our final composition, and created a digital symmetrical composition which can be seen below. We did this by copying the original image over 4 times and flipping the image each time. I rotated my image a few times to explore the various symmetrical configurations it would produce. Seen below are my two preferred configurations. 

Digital Symmetrical Composition 1

Digital Symmetrical Composition 2

Overall, I really enjoyed this project as it included working with collage as well as digital rendering. I appreciate using and experimenting with different mediums as it allows me to explore something that I would not normally use. I think this project came out nicely, however, if I were to do it again, I would have created more transparencies to improve my skills in that area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment